10 Best ways to reduce maintenance of heavy equipment in industrial fleet
13 Jan 2020
Deployment of heavy equipments are always a great way to handle massive logistics. It is necessary to meet the industrial demand. However, if these heavy equipments are not maintained properly, chances are, you may have to face down time that will cost a hefty amount. This is the main reason for which, all most all the heavy equipment operators should opt preventive measures to reduce maintenance and minimize the risk of unwanted mishaps in workplace.
Here are 10 ways to practice in order to reduce maintenance of heavy equipment in industrial fleet.
- 1. Go for a preventive maintenance program - The complete pre checks of machine are a prime step of preventative maintenance process where the operator share the notified primary issues with service engineer then diagnosed the future expected issues. In that process operators should have a mandatory check list to account the issues types.
Preventive maintenance will cost low and increase the machine lifetime. These programs are meant to change the defective parts. Needless to mention, heavy equipments need a proper care after a long operation. This is the main reason for which, you should think about to opt for preventive maintenance program that will update these machines for longer period of time without any flaws.
- 2. Daily maintenance - If you’ll devote few hours in daily basis to properly maintain these machines, it would be a great step to reduce gross maintenance charges. There are a number of movable parts and they need proper lubrication to stay operated properly. Daily maintenance will ensure that, these parts are working efficiently without any corrosion.
Business benefit of such step:
- Reduce the unexpected failure of machine while running long hour operation.
- Improve residual value, lifespan, operators’ safety and productivity.
- 3. Change Oil before time - Lubricants are known as blood for these machines. If they won’t get changed in right time, it would be a massive loss for the operator. Therefore, it would be wise to change the lubricants before it gets thick. In this way, you can avoid great maintenance cost in future.
- Before the vehicle start inspect in a row.
- Fluid Levels: Water, oil & hydraulic flui
- Hydraulic cylinders, valves & seals
- Brakes & reversing alarm
- Any Leaks and Cracks
- Chain tension, Tyre Pressure, cuts and gouges
- Fork Position & Load backrest extension
- 4. Train your operators to adhere effective machine operations -
“Don’t count accidents to hands your vehicle to untrained operators”
Research found some figure:
How to prevent these accidents:
- 1 in 6 workplace deaths involve a forklift
- 85 forklift account for around 85 deaths every year
- Around 35000 serious injuries result from forklift accidents annually
- No serious injuries related to forklift accidents reach around 62k each year
- Around 90% of all forklifts will be involved in some type of accident
If your operators won’t operate perfectly, chances are you may face heavy loss in future. Therefore, it is important to give proper training your operators and make it sure that, they are following all the safety norms while operating.
- Replace the poor trained operators or provide proper training
- Regulate Speeding with certain speed limit
- Maintain elevated load and keep fork low
- Improper turning- practice slow down in turn with horn
- Clear visible forklift zone marking
- Professional way of riding
- Workplace design & proper indications
- Load blocks vision
- Designated parking space
5. Have depth product knowledge - When you have infinite product knowledge “not exactly as a manufacturer”, it would be great to operate these machines without any flaws. Therefore, it would be great to have proper product knowledge.
- 6. Follow industrial recommended maintenance intervals - If someone will follow the industrial recommended maintenance intervals, there will be less chance to pay high cost while maintaining these machines.
- 7. Make a routine to check up machine parts thoroughly - If you have made a routine to check up the machines and different parts, it would be great to reduce maintenance charges. You can easily get the faults and replace them with new one.
- 8. Keep contact with suppliers - To reduce the downtime, it is important to replace faulty instruments instantly. To do this, you should keep contact with the supplier.
- 9. Stop operation when you face any problem - If you are suspecting any problem within your operation period, stop the machine immediately and short out that problem fast. In this way, it will reduce heavy maintenance charges in future.
Always ready to undertake the potential risk while operating heavy machineries.
- Mechanical Breakdown
- Fire Broke out
- 10. Get educated about the major causes of machinery break-down - If you are educated enough regarding the potential causes of the machinery break-down, it will help you to prevent spending major cost while maintaining the machine.